Wednesday, February 13, 2013

And I Die

I'm doing the Hal Higdon Half Marathon training plan for Novices. Monday's supposed to be stretch and strengthen and I was more than willing to let that day be a "rest" day instead since I had to work. I was busy enough, not sitting toooo much like I can sometimes so I felt justified. Plus my feet have been hurting a lot lately. Mostly the joints of both of my big toes have been achey. The only shoes that don't make it hurt when I walk are my nursing shoes.



So after work on Tuesday I did what I always seem to find an excuse out of, I went for a run. But only because that's what the plan told me to do, and I don't need to get behind in my training, especially since I already feel like crap about how slow I'm going. Walking around the ward for 12 hours is no joke, and I think a lot of the times it's mentally taxing to work out afterwards. Granted I probably could have gone during work. I just don't like to leave my patient's (even if my co-worker is more than capable of watching her for the hour that I need)


This is all the running I need to do right?!

So I did it. And it sucked. I came home and literally almost passed out after walking up the stairs and then sitting on a chair in my living room. I had to open the door and let the cold air hit me to help me out. I hate that feeling. It's funny you wonder why people would rather be lazy and sit around. When you do something bad for yourself like not work out, the consequences are quiet or slow. When you do something good for yourself like actually work out or eat healthily, you notice the effect immediately. And if you're like me they are not pleasant! 

After that feeling passed I went ahead and passed out for the night. It took me all day today to motivate myself to go again, but at least I didn't feel like passing out and dying after. It was still a crap run though so I'm not looking forward to the 5 miles I have to do tomorrow. Shuffling the training plan to work for me is easier said than done. But I know for a fact that I will NOT want to run the 5 miles on Sunday during or after work. Ah the joys of working all weekend. 36 hours of work in 3 days is probably the least motivating factor for working out.


No comments:

Post a Comment